Partially Renovated 5 Bed Barn Conversion and Grade II* Historic Hall
AUCTION CANCELLED, PROPERTY SOLD PRIOR TO AUCTION.
Partially Renovated 5 Bed Barn Conversion and Grade II* Historic Hall.
This property has been sold prior to auction.
The property comprises:
- Buckshaw Hall: A grade II* listed hall of significant historical importance, dating back to circ. 1654;
- A 5 bedroom detached barn conversaion which has been partially renovated.
Buckshaw Hall is a Grade II* listed timber framed house, believed to have been built in the mid 17th century. We believe the house was leased to tenants for most of the 19th century, and towards the end of the century underwent a light restoration. It is understood the work carried out was fairly conservative, consisting mainly of repair and replacement, with no alteration to the basic form of the house.
In 1936 the government established ROF Chorley, a huge ammunition factory complex which encompassed Buckshaw Hall. The poor quality of the restoration to the Hall was evident and the structure and fabric of the Hall were deteriorating fast. Initially the Hall was used as office accommodation, but after the war the building was abandoned and marked for demolition. In view of its forthcoming fate, the building was recorded in 1954 by the Ministry of Works. However, the expected demolition was never carried out, and the building was finally listed in 1975. Its condition continued to deteriorate. When ROF Chorley closed at the end of the twentieth century, the entire ammunitions factory site was purchased by developers for development of Buckshaw Village, a new residential area with housing, employment, shopping, leisure and commercial uses and the development is now largely complete. The Conditions attached to the consent for the wider area stipulated that Buckshaw Hall had to be repaired and a restoration of the external envelope of the hall was completed in 2008. This was carried out in accordance with good conservation practices under consent 0600450LBC and 0600449FUL, and involved the use of traditional materials and a team time-served crafts people.
The former farm buildings situated to the north of Buckshaw Hall consisted of a two storey barn, a single storey former open cart shed and an ‘L’ shaped range of two-storey outbuildings. The buildings are of brick construction with a hipped roof. A cast iron plaque on the barn reads ‘TRC 1886’. Whereas Buckshaw Hall underwent very minimal alteration to fulfil its role as office accommodation during the ROF days, the farm buildings were comprehensively altered to provide office, workshop and other ancillary accommodation. The north elevation was much altered, and several new window openings were made with concrete lintels. The ‘L’ shaped range was more extensively altered and in poor condition, and the consent was granted to remove the less significant and much altered parts, and retain the barn and cart shed which helped provide a setting to the Hall, it is understood these buildings were dismantled in 2009.
Buckshaw Hall has undergone major restoration to the exterior, however internally works are required in order for use as a residential dwelling. There are a number internal features which are of historical importance.
The barn has been partially renovated to ‘first fix’ stage, the building appears structuraly sound and weatherproof and the room layout has been designated internally, no internal features have been installed.
For further information or viweing please contact Damian Short on 0161 359 4332 or via email [email protected]